This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and purchase something, I may receive an affiliate commission — at no extra cost to you.
Praia de Benagil was the key Algarve draw for me when I went to Portugal last fall, and you best bet I wasn’t going to let the lack of public transportation stop me. As I neither wanted to rent a car nor could ride a motorcycle, biking to Praia de Benagil from Praia da Rocha was the most optimal option for me.
Biking the Algarve is one of the best ways to enjoy its scenic beauty and take advantage of the gorgeous weather while still being active. Here, a turn-by-turn guide to safely biking to this gorgeous place.
- Follow Estrada da Rocha out of Praia da Rocha
- Continue on to Rua Dom Carlos I before following the roundabout onto Avenida Guanaré
- Continue onto Rua Candido dos Reis, then right onto Rua Judice Biker, which becomes Rua Serpa Pinto
- Turn right onto the Rua Infante Dom Henrique bridge
- Pass the 1st roundabout
- At the 2nd roundabout, turn right
- At the next roundabout, turn right again (near Restaurant Fim do Mundo)
- Follow Rua do Regalo and then turn right at Restaurant Babalu
- Follow Rua da Hortinha and stay on M530
- At the next roundabout, turn right toward Colina da Lapa and Presa de Moura in Carvoeiro
- Go straight on Urbanização das Sesmarias
- Follow either M1272 or M1273 all the way to Benagil
Once you arrive at the beach, you can take a boat tour to the cave itself. Some days you can also rent a kayak. But if you were like me and didn’t have the kayak option nor wanted the boat option, you can take the third option: swim. Yep, bury your stuff in the sand and swim over to the cave.
Pin it to share it!